World Poetry Day is celebrated on 21 March, and was declared by UNESCO in 1999, “with the aim of supporting linguistic diversity through poetic expression and increasing the opportunity for endangered languages to be heard”. Its purpose is to promote the reading, writing, publishing and teaching of poetry throughout the world and, as the original UNESCO declaration says, to “give fresh recognition and impetus to national, regional and international poetry movements”.
Held every year on 21 March, World Poetry Day celebrates one of humanity’s most treasured forms of cultural and linguistic expression and identity. Practiced throughout history – in every culture and on every continent – poetry speaks to our common humanity and our shared values, transforming the simplest of poems into a powerful catalyst for dialogue and peace.
World Poetry Day is the occasion to honour poets, revive oral traditions of poetry recitals, promote the reading, writing and teaching of poetry, foster the convergence between poetry and other arts such as theatre, dance, music and painting, and raise the visibility of poetry in the media. As poetry continues to bring people together across continents, all are invited to join in.
On the occasion of the same, here’s a 9-hour contest on poetry!
- Prompt: Write a 12 line poetry with any rhyme scheme on the word POETRY
- Participants should be Indian residents above the age of 16
- All entries must be in English
- Only original works that have not been published in print, digital or online publications will be considered
- Submission fee: Rs. 50/- (to be paid using the PAY button at the bottom of this post)
- 1 entry per writer
- Deadline: 10.00 p.m. India time, on March 21, 2022.
- One winner will win the trophy which will be sent to their residential address by WriteFluence
- Top 10 will receive a e-certificate
- All winning entries will be published on our website