Calling all sonneteers to participate in this sonnet writing contest and win yourself a place in our next publication!
How??? Read on!
What is a sonnet?
A sonnet is a one-stanza, 14-line poem, written in iambic pentameter. Sonnets share these characteristics:
- Fourteen lines: All sonnets have 14 lines, which can be broken down into four sections called quatrains.
- A strict rhyme scheme: The rhyme scheme of a Shakespearean sonnet, for example, is ABAB / CDCD / EFEF / GG (note the four distinct sections in the rhyme scheme).
- Written in iambic pentameter: Sonnets are written in iambic pentameter, a poetic meter with 10 beats per line made up of alternating unstressed and stressed syllables.
So here’s the challenge. Submit your original and fresh sonnets using the participation link below and get published in our next beautiful poetry book! Make sure you read the submission guidelines.
– SUBMISSION GUIDELINES –
- Theme: Heartbreak
- Writers of age 15 and above, across the globe
- All entries must be in English
- Only original works that have not been published in print, digital or online publications will be considered
- WriteFluence retains one-time exclusive publication right to the winning entries to be published in their upcoming publication (i.e. You cannot publish the poems elsewhere during and after the contest if you’re one of the winning entries)
- Format: Submit your entry in Word / PDF format using the participation link below. Do NOT send us email submissions!
- You can submit up to SIX sonnets; please place all in one document while submitting
- Submission fee: INR 100/-
- Submission fees are non-refundable. Kindly note that payment of fees does not guarantee you a win in the contest. Sonnets will be judged purely on merit.
July 10, 2021July 20, 2021
– RESULTS –
- Results will be announced on July 25, 2021.
- Winning sonnets will be published in a book to be released thereafter – All winning writers will win a special author feature in the book and a merit certificate (virtual) from WriteFluence after the book is published
- Top 3 writers will receive:
- 1 physical copy of the book
- 1 merit certificate (virtual) from WriteFluence
- Early bird prizes: A participation certificate (virtual) for the first 20 entries
- The earlier you send your submission, the more time we have to read it at peace and calculate the scores
‹ Dear Pa,